Wisdom on a Whim First Quarter
Wisdom on a Whim - 1st Quarter
The BFG - Integrated Language Arts
Years 3 - 5
Important: This is a PDF download. No physical product will be mailed to you. Scroll down for our digital download policies.
What is WIsdom on a Whim?
We offer an eclectic, secular homeschool curriculum that combines some Charlotte Mason, Waldorf, and hygge methods, with a twist of our own learning model. These units are broken up into nine week quarters in order to provide the most manageable and affordable options to parents. It can be SO OVERWHELMING to receive an entire year’s worth of content. And how frustrating is it to drop that much money without knowing if you love it or if it’ll work with your kids?
Our ELA focus is on deep diving into literature, grammar, vocabulary acquisition, community outreach, and developing passions. So many people grow up without having the chance to truly learn what they're passionate about or creating self-care routines. We believe that by teaching children at an early age, they’ll be able to maintain those skills for later in life when discovering career and happiness paths.
The first quarter covers the novel The BFG by Roald Dahl. Topics include: friendship, courage, foster care, human rights, judging a book by its cover, self-discovery, feeling different or misunderstood, comparison (character/movie to book adaptations), imagination, teamwork, kindness, tolerance, similies, descriptive writing, dialect differences, explanding opinions and beliefs, and more!
We believe that by using the three Cs: connection, community, and creativity, children will grow up with the skills and conscience to make changes.
What are the three Cs?
Connection: We believe that education is, and should be, a relationship builder. We cannot be truly educated without the help of others. Humans all have basic needs, but we often forget that love and belonging is important. The time spent learning, reading, and discovering creates strong familial ties that help families bond, and meets the needs children often lose throughout their childhood. With these strong ties to their home, children are able to develop a sense of local responsibility that translates and extends to global responsibility.
Community: Eclectic Learners connects most learning through literature to a community outreach piece. For example, when reading about foster care and orphanages, students will learn to brainstorm, research, plan, and execute a way to reach out and make a difference in those children’s lives. We all have an important role in this world, and it’s important to give children the opportunity to make a change in the world.
Creativity: Most issues can be solved through creative problem-solving skills. In order for children to develop these skills, they first need to have the chance to be creative! Through easy, flexible prompts, Eclectic Learners challenges children to see their learning differently, flip the script, create, model, role-play, write, draw, and paint through their own eyes. These skills are easily transferred later for bigger problem-solving.
Who is Wisdom on a Whim for?
- Parents who need a secular multi-age curriculum for their family
- Parents who need a curriculum that builds academic foundations in a developmentally-appropriate way, and moves at their child’s own unique pace
- Parents who want to expand their child's mind through thought-provoking conversations
- Parents who desire a curriculum based on spending time together, as well as having the opportunity for independent work
- Busy parents who need an open-and-go program with minimal prep time each week (half an hour or less!)
- Parents on a budget that cannot afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a boxed curriculum package
- Parents who want a community outreach element to their learning
- Parents who have creative learners
Who is it NOT for?
Parents who need a curriculum that includes Bible study or a religious component.
Parents who want a curriculum that their child can do completely independently. Our curriculum requires some focused together time, while also providing materials they can/should work on independently
Parents who want an online school experience for their child
Parents who want a grade-specific curriculum. Each quarter focuses on a span of three grade level material that is modified for multi-ages
Parents who need every supply, book, and material for their year included in their purchase. Our curriculum is designed to use a few basic art supplies, typical household items, and many books that can be found at a library or online. Our curriculum does include the guidebooks your child will use in conjunction with the parent guides. We recommend you print and bind them before beginning.
Parents who need every day’s activities planned out for them. We give a weekly overview, not a daily schedule.
Parents who need an all-encompassing curriculum. Right now, our curriculum focuses on literature-based reading, analyzing, writing, and creativity.
Please read the following details carefully before purchasing, and copy and paste it where you can pull it up for reference:
- All information about our quarterly integrated ELA curriculum, including samples, can be found HERE
- All sales are final. No exchanges, returns, or refunds will be issued.
- Your files should be delivered automatically upon purchase. If you do not see your files in your inbox, please immediately email me at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can assist you!
- This listing is for the purchase of Eclectic Learners' 1st Quarter Wisdom on a Whim ELA Curriculum ONLY. You can find a listing for the full bundle in our store.
- If, at any time, you need my assistance, please contact me at email@example.com. I am always happy to help!
- Please note that ALL files will be delivered as digital downloads to the email address you use at checkout. Nothing will be mailed to you. We do not offer printed or bound curriculum at this time.
- Please click HERE and read carefully though all of the information on that page before making a purchase.